More than just accountancy advice: 5 things to look for in a great accountant
A good accountant handles all the ‘numbers stuff’, such as bookkeeping, payroll or management accounts, so you don’t have to. But a great accountant does so much more. A great accountant supports your business in a variety of ways, beyond taking care of the numbers. Here are five things to look for if you want to tell a great accountant from a good one.
A great accountant…
- Can put themselves in your shoes. If you run a small business, chances are you’ll be better served by an accountant who’s also running their own small business, rather than a major accounting firm. That’s because running a small business brings unique challenges and pressures. A great accountant understands, because they’ve faced the same challenges and pressures themselves.
- Is interested in every aspect of your business. Of course you need an accountant who can meet your accounting needs, but if they never show an interest in anything but the numbers, be wary. A great accountant is always looking for ways to add value – and they can’t do that if they don’t understand the business as a whole.
- Wants to help your business grow. When your business prospers, their business prospers. It’s as simple as that. The success of your business should matter to your accountant, and they should be eager to help drive success wherever possible (for example, by referring your business to their contacts). A great accountant should be part-cheerleader, in other words!
- Proactively identifies ways to improve your business. Evaluating growth opportunities, pinpointing cost savings and suggesting efficiencies are just some of the ways an accountant can actively boost your business. A great accountant is full of workable ideas and solutions.
- Keeps you ahead of the curve on tax and legislation changes. Accounting rules change fairly regularly, and while there’s often a bit of leeway for businesses adapting to new rules, you can’t afford to be caught unawares. Early preparation is key. A great accountant tells you everything you need to know – in jargon-free terms – and prepares your business for what’s coming down the line.
If you’re looking for an accountancy service that delivers more than just accountancy advice, chat to Jupp Castle. As award-winning accountants, known for our client care, we want to proactively boost your business. Because when you do well, we do well.